Begun by the United Nations General Assembly in 2010, World Interfaith Harmony Week takes place annually during the first week of February. In establishing the observance, the UN General Assembly pointed out that mutual understanding and interreligious dialogue constitute important dimensions of a culture of peace and recognized the imperative need for dialogue among different faiths and religions to enhance mutual understanding, harmony, and cooperation among peoples.
Here in our own local area, a variety of events are being held in observance of the week:
- The Sacred Spaces Tour 2022, which replaces the annual Community Pilgrimage, will launch at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, February 1st. Get to know some of the faith communities in our neighbourhood by joining this virtual tour of sacred spaces. A diverse cross-section of hosts offer explanations to their unique practices and tenets. The Tour can be viewed on the Surrey Interfaith Council's YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2-0fvDQnEnkj2YZKDNuSQ
- At Stories of Faith 2022, launching at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, February 2nd, a diverse cross-section of people of faith will share stories as to why they provide service in their communities to others who are not of their faith. Accessed via the Surrey Interfaith Council's YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2-0fvDQnEnkj2YZKDNuSQ
- Hosted by the Surrey Baha'i Community, at Re-imagining Community Building 2022 on Thursday, February 3rd at 7:00 pm, moderator Farrah Marasco will guide a discussion and interactive workshop exploring building blocks of a compassionate, just, and dynamic community. The central theme is, "There is no they, only us." Register to participate by emailing email@example.com.
- The 6th Annual Interfaith Music & Spoken Word Concert, sponsored by the Surrey Interfaith Council, will go live at 7:00 pm on Friday February 4th. The concert will again, for the second year running, be a virtual broadcast, viewable on the Surrey Interfaith Council's YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2-0fvDQnEnkj2YZKDNuSQ
- The Global Clergy Association of Canada, the Multifaith Action Society, and neighbouring Northwood United Church have partnered to host COVID and Keeping Our Faith: A Virtual Interfaith Conference, Saturday, February 5th from 1:30 – 3:30 pm. Information and Zoom link at bit.ly/keepingourfaith.
- On Sunday, February 6th, at 6:00 pm, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama'at BC will host The Multi-faith Diaspora: A Force for Positive Change 2022, a virtual conference wherein a diverse cross-section of presenters will provide commentary and perspective on this year's theme.
All of these events are free, and everyone is welcome!
For more information, connect with the Surrey Interfaith Council by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/surreyinterfaith), or YouTube (www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2-0fvDQnEnkj2YZKDNuSQ).